Friday, July 31, 2020

Button Canister Keychain (A Story Post)


When I first found this keychain years ago at a consignment shop, there was a baseball card inside of it. I gave the card to my cousin S.V. after my dad bought the keychain for me. At the time, I think I was drawn to this keychain because of its potential. In my young mind, the possibilities of what I could put inside it seemed endless.

The reason I decided to fill it with buttons had a lot to do with my mother. Mom likes to sew, and when me and my siblings were kids there were a lot more brick and morter stores that sold fabric and sewing notions than there are today. There was one store I remember in particular because it had a large bin of loose buttons that were sold by the scoop. It was a small store, and my mom would often let us kids stand there and pick through the buttons while she did her shopping. Sometimes she'd even let us fill a scoop with buttons to buy and bring home. All of Mom's spare buttons were stored in empty cookie tins under her bed, and every now and then she'd pull out a tin and let us empty it out onto her bed so we could run our fingers through the buttons.

The buttons inside this keychain were all taken from my mom's stash, with her permission. Now every time I look at it, I remember the thrill I felt as a child grabbing handfuls of buttons and letting them fall through my fingers. I like to think that my fascination with Mom's button tins was similar to the fascination that most young kids have with ball pits. Plunging my hands into a box of buttons somewhat parallels jumping into a ball pit, at least in my mind.

Signed, Treesa

No comments:

Post a Comment